Walden Pond

Walden Pond

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Review of Labor Day Weekend

I knew the weekend would be a challenge. With a holiday and a road trip, I was in for a double whammy. What I didn't expect was an emotional eating crisis, but then those are never expected, are they?

We had to deal with a rainstorm for the entire 5 hour car trip. I'm not accustomed to riding in my husband's vehicle, but mine wasn't big enough to carry all my oldest daughter's stuff, plus her, plus me, my husband, and our youngest daughter. I also felt like we left town too late in the day. I was cranky, the rain on the freeway made me crankier, and eventually all the women in the car were nagging my husband about his driving.

 I finally told my husband to pull off at the next exit and wait out the rain. He grumpily did as I asked and pulled into a gas station off the exit. We went in to use the bathroom. I made a beeline straight for the munchies. That's when I realized that more than being worried about the rain, I made him pull over so I could get some food to help me through all the tension in the van. That's not good. I just bought some water, determined not to let my emotions pick my food.

When we all got back in the van, I explained to my husband exactly what was making me nervous about his driving (funny I didn't think to do that before things got so stressful). The girls gave their opinion on the matter, too. Hubby agreed to drive more slowly, and we headed back out. We made it to our hotel with no further trouble! I was really pleased that I had recognized and avoided a potential binge.

Since it was raining, of course, I didn't get to do any swimming. I did make sever trips up the stairs to my daughters 4th floor dorm, though. I'm not counting that in my mileage, since I have no idea what that would work out to.

I didn't do any more exercise the rest off the weekend. Once we got home, I spent my time giving the house a thorough cleaning now that we don't have any in-between-semester kids there.

This morning, I walked half a mile while walking my dogs. I have three of them, but my older two have always walked at least two of them, leaving me with just my little Maltese (honestly, they often walked him, too). Now that my youngest and I are the only ones home in the mornings, I'll be walking all three, so she can concentrate on getting ready for school. My husband will be walking them in the afternoon. I walk them one at a time, and the total for the three walks is just over half a mile.

My big challenge for this week will be lunch at work. Even though I'm not counting calories yet, I am trying to eat healthfully and mindfully. Enter a festival right outside my office. I mean, literally right outside my office.

                        



                       

Yes, that's a concessions stand on the right. That concessions stand is open from noon until late into the night for the festival. Starting tomorrow, the street will be blocked off and filled with vendors, some of whom will be selling food. Right there. Outside my office. There's nothing like a little temptation, is there?

I knew this was coming, so this morning I brought in enough food for lunch the rest of the week. This way I won't be tempted into getting a deep-fried whatever. I also have dinners planned that are a little less healthy than usual. The may seem counter-productive, but my logic is that planned is better than unplanned. Also, a lot of the draw that carnival food brings is that it's not something you get every day. Well, neither are these dinners. So healthy lunch, yummy dinner, and hopefully I'll avoid the carnival fare.

1307.51 / .5 / 1299.68

No comments:

Post a Comment