Walden Pond

Walden Pond

Friday, August 29, 2014

Potluck Ponderings


So last night I didn't walk. We are planning a weekend trip to take my eldest daughter back to college, so I was busy making arrangements for our animals, booking the hotel, etc. I also didn't work out this morning. I woke up early enough, but I instead assembled a fruit salad to take to work.

At work we have monthly Birthday Breakfast potlucks on the last Friday of the month. Everyone brings a breakfast food to share and celebrate the birthdays that took place that month. If you had a birthday that month, you don't have to bring anything. These potlucks are super carb heavy: donuts, biscuits, pancakes, muffins, etc. Since I decided yesterday that I wanted to start focusing on healthier foods, I decided to bring a fruit salad. I make a fruit salad with angel food cake and lemon sauce.



It's still sweet, and I get some fruit in. I'm not counting calories yet, but for those of you who do, it comes out to 221 calories per serving. I just layer the fruit and cake, but after every cake layer, I add a few spoonfuls of this Lemon Sauce from One Perfect Bite. I use the sauce while it is still warm, and I only use about 1/2 cup of sauce in the salad. The rest of the sauce I put in the fridge to chill and thicken. My kids usually eat it with the leftover fruit.

It went over really well. No leftovers to bring home.

I'm really not trying to be lazy with my walking. I'm sure things will be calmer Monday when I only have one kid at home and no more travel for a while. Tonight I'm going to get most of the groceries for the week. Tomorrow I'm working in the morning, then having a birthday lunch with my youngest daughter. We are leaving for our trip right after the lunch.

The hotel we're staying at doesn't have a fitness room, but it does have an outdoor pool. I plan on swimming some laps if it's not too crowded. I have issues with being in a pool at my size when there are total strangers in it. My daughter's dorm is on the third floor of her building, so I'm sure to get some exercise going up and down those stairs (the elevator is only used for big items like bicycles and refrigerators).

Since I don't work on Monday, I probably won't post again until Tuesday. Have a good holiday weekend everyone!

 1307.51 / 0 / 1300.18

No comments:

Post a Comment