Walden Pond

Walden Pond

Thursday, September 4, 2014

It's Time to Commit

Yesterday, I ended up having to work late, so I was only able to get in half a mile before I had to go home. With my dog walking this morning, that gives me a full mile to add.

I noticed a couple things while I was exercising last night. One was that I really hate my gym. It used to be a movie theater, and it's dark and creepy. It's also geared towards athletes and sports fitness, which can be intimidating. I used to go to a different gym that I liked much better, but my employer pays for most of my gym membership if I go to this one. So paying $5 a month instead of $35? I'll deal with dark and creepy.

The other thing I noticed was my thighs. I have huge elephant thighs. I always knew that. But last night I noticed that with every step on the treadmill, my leg would move forward, and a few seconds later my thigh would catch up, usually as the rest of the leg was going back. I never noticed they move that much. It was freaking me out.

I kept noticing how much my body jiggles the rest of the night. It was the first thing on my mind this morning. I really never noticed this before. I always knew I was huge, but I didn't think I was blubbery.

So I have decided to stop fooling around and start counting calories again. I'm going to actively try to lose weight. This is really scary. I'm already afraid I can't do it. I'm already sure I'm going to fail again. I just want to put it off. I also want to start right now.

As it happens, I'm starting Saturday. There are two reasons for this. We have practically no food in our house right now (except leftover mac and cheese). So by the time I plan the food and buy the food, it will be Saturday.

The other reason is that festival outside my office all week. I've done so well. I haven't gone out there once. I've looked out the window a lot because the stage is across the street, and in the afternoon the bands come to do their sound checks and whatnot. Well, tonight I have to go. My son is playing as part of a percussion group. My husband, youngest daughter, and I will go to see him and spend a couple of hours looking at the booths. I'm not going to binge while I'm there, but I'll eat something because the concert is at dinner time. We will have dinner at the festival, but I'm going to look for somewhat nutritious offerings. I could do better if I'd had time to plan (or buy groceries). Maybe I can talk them into grabbing something else on the way home. I don't know; we'll see.

So I entered my weight loss goals into www.myfitnesspal.com. I've used lots of food logging sites, but I think theirs is the most user friendly. If you want to friend me there, I'm conniebug76. My starting weight is 290 as of this morning. My goal is to lose 100 pounds. That still puts me on the heavy side according to the charts (I'm 5' 9"), but it's less than I've weighed as an adult. I'll think about losing more as I get closer to that goal.

According to the site, I should eat 1570 calories a day and do 30 minutes of exercise 5 times a week in order to lose 2 pounds a week.

Now that I know what I need to work with, I'm off to plan some meals.

1307.51 / 1 / 1298.18

No comments:

Post a Comment