Walden Pond

Walden Pond

Friday, August 22, 2014

Rocky Start

Well, it looks like I'm off to a bad start with this blogging thing. I meant to post every weekday, but August has been killing me. I could list my reasons/excuses here, but I'm just going to say I'm back. I'll post this today, and then my next post will be on Monday.

I haven't had any binges lately. I'm trying to make sure to eat something for breakfast every day. That hasn't been going well. I just don't like to eat first thing in the morning. I think what I'm going to try is to have a banana first thing in the morning. It's easy to eat, if I'm running late I can eat it in the car, but it will still put something in my belly. Then at 9 AM or so when I actually feel like eating something, I can have something in my office. It's a start.

I noticed something today. I was sitting at work, and I thought I felt hungry. I asked myself if I really feel hunger or something else. Instead of an answer, I just started thinking about these Fiber One lemon bars I keep in my desk. I had pulled one out the box before I remembered that I need to check my hunger. I decided that I wasn't actually hungry.

But I still wanted that lemon bar. I tried to decide why I wanted that lemon bar. They taste good. I like the soft mouth feel. I was tired of looking at my work. That was it! I was bored. The project I was working on at that moment was incredibly boring.

When I'm bored at home, I can just find something else to do. That's harder to do at work when I have a definite task assigned. So I decided to take a short walk around the building (from the front door to the back door). It was nice. It got me out in the sun (my office is really cold), and perked me up a little. When I got back in, I was able to finish my boring project in just an hour and move on to something more interesting.

I picked up a copy of Walden at the library last weekend. I think I'm going to reread it. Maybe Thoreau will have some more insight for me while I make this journey.

1307.51 / 1.22 / 1305.18

No comments:

Post a Comment