Walden Pond

Walden Pond

Monday, August 25, 2014

Getting Back to Myself

So this weekend I did two things I'm proud of: I had a very stressful conversation and did not turn to food for comfort, and I got up yesterday morning and did yoga!

My mother came over Saturday, and somehow we got on the subject of weight. My mother (like me) used to be very, very thin and then gained a lot with her pregnancies. She has a thyroid problem and has recently started medication for it, which has helped mover her from morbidly obese to overweight. She was talking about her weight, and then she zeroed in on mine. She had lots of ideas on why I'm so fat and what I should be doing about it. She wasn't mean in anyway, but I don't like talking about personal things with here (a lot of childhood issues there). A lot of my poor eating habits are a DIRECT result of things that she did or didn't do while I was growing up.

By the time she left, I wanted to crawl into a big bag of chips. I wanted to make mac and cheese. I wanted pizza. But instead I did a Walk Away the Pounds video. I don't go to the gym on the weekends, so I needed to get some walking in anyway. I did the 1 mile walk. By the time I finished, I didn't feel like stuffing my face anymore. I did fix a nice salad with some tomatoes my mother had brought over and ate that. But I didn't gorge. I was so proud of myself.

Then yesterday (Sunday) I got up and immediately did another 1 mile WATP walk, even though I'd woken up a little stiff. I still felt a little stiff so when I took out the WATP disc, I popped in a yoga disc. I use Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss with Suzanne Deason. It's been more than a year since I used this DVD, but I was able to make it through the whole thing. I felt so much better afterwards, so loose and flexy!

This morning I have sore back muscles from the yoga. I'm tall and have a tendency to slouch, especially at my desk. The yoga really helps my posture when I do it regularly. I'm going to have to make that a priority.

I though about doing yoga again this morning before I left for work, but since I'm planning on skipping the gym tonight to pic up my youngest from band, I decided to do a 2 mile WATP instead. That makes 4 miles since Friday! I think the morning workout really helps set the tone for the rest of the day.

I've also finally decided to add a before picture of myself. As I've said before, I'm not working on weight loss yet. I haven't even weighed since I started this blog. But this way, if things should go that way, I will have something to look back at.

This was taken right after I finished yoga, so I'm all sweaty and rumpled.



1307.51 / 4 / 1301.18

No comments:

Post a Comment