Walden Pond

Walden Pond

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Slacking Off

I didn't exercise last night. I also didn't exercise this morning. I'm tempted to make excuses about how tired I was and how late I slept, but I know that won't help me in the long run. There's no reason to lie to myself. I slacked off.

My soreness from earlier in the week is almost gone and my husband is cooking dinner tonight, so I have absolutely no excuse to get in a workout when I get home. I'm not going to let myself go another day without changing those numbers at the bottom of the page.

I really struggled today at lunch. I've been forgetting to pack lunches for work. So when noon comes around, all I have are the Fiber One bars. Today, since I was running late this morning, I'd already had one of those bars for breakfast. I really wanted something "good" for lunch, something warm, something crispy. It was all about the taste and mouth feel, not so much about the hunger.

I didn't really have to exercise my willpower today because I didn't have the money to go buy a lunch. If I had, there would have been a serious struggle. My office is two doors down from a Mexican restaurant, and sometimes I swear I can smell their chips and salsa. Subway is also a weakness for me. I know it's possible to eat healthy at Subway and at Mexican restaurants. My very svelte daughter eats both frequently, and she always chooses healthy foods. I need to get to the point that I can do that, too.

I think part of the problem is that I still look at those as "special treats." We can't afford to eat out often, and when I do, I want to make the most of it. I want the tamales and the salami because those are foods that I rarely have.

I need to get to the point that food is just food--not a treat, not a friend, not an entertainment--just food.

Once I had my internal tantrum about not being able to eat what I wanted for lunch, I had my Fiber One bar. As I ate it, I realized that what I really wanted was a nice crisp salad, something light and crispy to wake me up and refresh me. It's funny how clearly I can know what my body wants once I get my emotions out of the way, isn't it?


That's all for now. My numbers are the same because I've been lazy. I promise they will be different tomorrow.


1307.51 / 0 / 1301.18

No comments:

Post a Comment