Walden Pond

Walden Pond

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Goals and Timelines

Yesterday after work, I went to the gym. My office shares a parking lot with the local gym, so we get a huge discount on membership. I spent 20 minutes on a treadmill and walked 1.11 miles. So I officially have started my trip to Massachusetts!

By my calculations, if I were making this trip in reality, I would have walked to the end of my street. That doesn't seem like much. On the other hand, the last time I tried to ride a bicycle, I was only able to make it to the end of the street. I had to walk back. I'd like to get to the point that I can make the 5 mile ride to Walmart and our library on bicycle. That's one of my healthy goals.

Speaking of goals, I want to talk a little about my goals for this blog and for my life. I've tagged this as a weight loss blog, but weight loss isn't my goal right now. My goal right now is to understand my binge eating. My goal is to stop eating when I really don't want to eat.

For example, yesterday when I was chowing down on those Cheetos, I didn't want them. Now I like Cheetos, and at other times I've been able to have a handful, eat them, and be satisfied with that. But when I eat a lot of Cheetos, I can start to taste the grease, not to mention that weird cheese powder aftertaste that builds up on the back of your tongue. Cheetos taste worse to me the more I eat at once. That's how I felt yesterday. After the first 10 or so poofs, I didn't want them. They were starting to taste gross. But I MADE myself finish the bag. It's like I was punishing myself. I think I was punishing myself for something, but I don't know what. That's what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to stop hurting myself with food.

I'm also trying to get more active. I'm not just talking about my journey to Walden. I've noticed that I have my kids (all teenagers) fetch for me. I'll be sitting down, and rather than get a glass of water or throw something away myself, I will call one of my children to do it for me--even if they are on the other side of the house. I've done this for a really long time. I'm pretty sure I wasn't a lazy person when I started adulthood, but I definitely am now. So the walking is just one part of me trying to stop being a lazy person.

So while weight-loss is not one of my actual goals, I think it will be a side effect of achieving my actual goals. As I become more active and learn how to have a healthy relationship with food, it makes sense that some of my weight will come off. That's why I've tagged this as a weight loss blog. And who knows? Maybe down the proverbial road I will decide to start counting calories and make a focused effort to lose weight. In the meantime, I will be weighing once a month on the 1st. I think it will be motivating to see any weight changes on my walk. I also think weighing weekly would make me focus on my weight instead of my journey. So once a month seems like a good schedule.

I also have a loose schedule for my walking. I will be walking at the gym every weekday, and I will be doing a walking tape at home on the weekends. I walked just over a mile yesterday, but I would like to build up to 3 miles per day. I'm giving myself 1 year to walk to Walden Pond. That means I should arrive there by August 5, 2015. Looking at that now, I'm thinking there's no way I'm going to make it, but I'm going to "go confidently" in that direction. I bet I'll surprise myself.

Tomorrow, I will post a starting picture of myself. I'm not going to call it a before picture. I'm going to call it a beginning picture. I wonder who I'll be at the end.

Happy walking!

1307.51 / 1.11 / 1306.4

No comments:

Post a Comment